New Delhi: Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways made few changes into the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 by issuing notifications, these changes will be implemented from October 1, 2020. The official release states that the use of IT services and electronic monitoring will result in better enforcement of Traffic Rules in the country. It will help in fair surveillance and remove the harassment of drivers.
Here are all the changes you must know of –
• If the Vehicular documents in electronic forms are authentic and valid, then there is not need for inspection in physical forms.
• Details of driving licences disqualified or revoked by the licensing authority will be recorded and updated chronologically in the portal.
• The statement said that the details recorded in chronological order should be reflected on a regular basis on the portal has been provided for. The record should be maintained electronically and the behaviour of the driver is to be monitored.
• The officers who are demanding or inspecting any documents, the date and time stamp of inspection and identity of the police officer in uniform or any other officer authorized by the State Government, should be recorded on the Portal. This would help in unnecessary re-checking or inspection of vehicles and further would remove harassment to the drivers.
• Drivers can maintain their vehicular documents on Central govt’s online portal like Digi-locker or m-parivahan.
• The new rules also underline that the use of handheld gadgets such as phones to be used only for navigation, no other gadget is allowed, it should be used in such a way that it does not disturb while driving.